Yep, I'm a "Missionary"

Let me explain...

So I met handsome, compassionate, mature, amazing Tedd -- a young missionary.  When you marry a missionary, you have to think about whether or not you're willing to be one too...and to be one means huge life-change.

Now I'm a missionary.  I don't feel like one.  In fact, I really don't like being called one - it's intimidating.  It's a title that has a lot of baggage, expectations, and stereotypes (both good and bad).

Aren't missionaries supposed to be super-spiritual super heroes??  I'm definitely not that! Don't get me wrong, I want to be godly and spiritual, but I'm not a super-spiritual super hero.

Aren't missionaries supposed to love people like crazy and be really patient and never get upset and never care about their hair or makeup, or decorating their homes, and never miss their families?  Not that either.

BUT, here He has me.  I just love God and I want so badly to please Him, and I'm pretty sure this is where He wants me, so I leave all the pretty things at home, my comfortable surroundings, and my loving family to fly around the world about 8 months out of the year.  Not because I'm a spiritual super-power, not that at all, believe me, but because the love of God, and the fear of God*, moves me.
I like it a lot, but it's hard.  It's not the romanticized missionary life that I imagined it would be, (okay, sometimes it is), but it's humbling staying in other people's homes all the time, gets really old living out of a suitcase, discouraging when all your work and sacrifice shows so few results, and lonely at times without like-minded friends or family, and being submerged in another language.  These are just some tough realities.

Plus, it's just hard to face your faults on a new level, humble yourself to be a learner, be selfless, live without our American amenities, and gaze upon poor, starving, and suffering people day after day!  It's like your soul is stripped naked and you have to look at your measly, puny self for what you really are, and subsequently depend on God.  Which is great, right?!  But hard.

I'm pushed out of my comfort zone, my ignorance zone, my selfish zone, and I'm stripped of my American/family/scholarly/racial/financial identity and left to be just me, little Emily, depending on God and seeing myself for who I really am.  He redeems me, gives me strength, and refines me...but whew it's humbling, and being humbled is just not something that gives me warm fuzzies.

BUT, wow...have I seen some amazing places, met some incredible people, and had some delightful adventures!!  
Pakistan

Guatemala

India

Peru

India

Pakistan

Pakistan

Mexico

Guatemala

Nicaragua

Guatemala

India

and currently, Rio Blanco, Nicaragua...

I'm thankful for all my eyes have witnessed, and for being pushed, refined, and molded, even though it hurts sometimes.  And I'm honored to be able to travel and experience the world with a purpose - to point to God's Word & to the Lord, Jesus Christ.

For specifics on what we're doing currently overseas, with lots of stories and pictures, visit Tedd's and my missions blog

* By "fear of God," I mean that He is holy, God of the Universe, and my Master.  He is worthy of all suffering, sacrifice, and service.  I'm often reminded that He is Almighty GOD, and that I wouldn't dare resist Him or His will in my life.  Luke 17:10 resounds in my mind as I strive to fully surrender my will...
"So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.'" (NASB)

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post. It brings such clarity as to how we all should be living and dying to self in our daily walk with Christ. What a blessing you are to all those who meet you because of your surrendered life to Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thanks for the comments - they make my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial