November 3, 2009

Pumpkin Puree


In honor of trying to cook more from-scratch, I decided I would attempt to make my own pumpkin puree from our Fall pumpkin this year!

For starters, I was so excited about having a pumpkin this fall!  Fall is my FAVORITE season!  Having our little black kitty, Otis, around during autumn made the season even more nostalgic, but I just couldn't get him to stay still for my fall picture...

I brought my pumpkin to a fall-themed engagement party where we carved pumpkins on the lawn, caramel-dipped apples for dessert, and celebrated the bride-to-be!  It was so fun!  I opted to paint my pumpkin instead of cutting it so I could keep it as a decoration a little longer before eating it!

Rachel + Grant = June 26th, 2010!!

So now for the pumpkin puree.

When you're ready to cut into your pumpkin, cut off the top and gut it like you would a jack-o-lantern (don't forget to set aside the seeds for roasting - mm mm).  After it's gutted, cut it up into large pieces and peel the outer skin.
for some reason, my pumpkin came out like spaghetti squash!!  I looked it up online and found very little info on my freako pumpkin...but anyway, it worked just the same...

Place the pumpkin "meat" into a pot of water & heat it up to boiling (cover it w/ a lid).

When the pumpkin has softened (after approx 15-30 min), fork it out into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

To get out all the excess moisture, place the puree into a strainer that's lined with cheesecloth & over a bowl (see picture above).  Cover in plastic wrap and set it in the fridge for an hour or so while you clean up.

After you've let it drain, you should have several cups of pumpkin puree.  You can use the drained pumpkin water in soups if you like, and the puree can be stored in the freezer (worked great for me to measure 2 cups into small containers so I could grab about a can's worth when it was time to bake).

Now...with all that puree, I recommend you make this knock-your-socks-off pumpkin bread!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...