February 12, 2010

Marthas Anonymous

So in the span of about two weeks, I heard the story of Martha & Mary about three times.  I thought maybe the Lord was telling me something.

Em's summarized (and elaborated) version:

Martha & Mary are sisters.  Jesus comes to visit.  There's a lot of work to be done to prepare for their guests.  Martha works her patootie off while Mary sneaks out of the room to go listen to Jesus for a minute.  It was only gonna be a minute, but Jesus' words are so captivating and fascinating that Mary gets lost in time.  Meanwhile, Martha is running around in the kitchen like a chicken with her head cut off - boiling the water, kneading the dough, churning the butter, setting the table, waiting for the potatoes..."Mary?  You finished peeling those potatoes yet?"  "Mary..."  "Mary..." "Where in the world is Mary?" Martha thinks to herself.


"MARY!"  Martha storms in and sees her sister, sitting with the group, at Jesus' feet, (with a potato peeler in her hands).  Ugh!  "Jesus, could you please tell my turd sister to help me!?" Martha spews.  "Woah, Martha, woah..." Jesus says.  "You have so much going on right now, but it's not what really matters in life.  Chill.  Actually, Mary has chosen what truly matters..."


Hi, my name is Emily, and I'm a "Martha."  I don't call my sister a turd, but I do run around doing stuff, all distracted, and forget to spend time with Jesus.

I think it would be fun to start a Martha's Anonymous group, but that kind of group would probably only have us busier and more distracted...

sigh.

Lord, please help me make time to step away from all this busy work (some important, some not) to spend time with you...learning from your Word and focusing on you - the thing that truly matters in life.

1 comment:

  1. I am so a Martha....on a journey to be more like Mary every single day..

    ReplyDelete

thanks for the comments - they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...