March 27, 2010

Lately in the Kitchen...

Wow.  I can tell you one thing's for sure, the Kitchen's been different for me lately.  For one, it doesn't look like the picture above anymore! (in the header)  Secondly, food's quite different.  Thirdly, I don't have a mixer!  Fourthly, baking supplies are expensive and hard to find in Rio Blanco...Fifthly, (is this a word?), I miss cooking in the US...


  • ...but there are some real perks to cooking in Nicaragua too!  The major food perk in my book is the abundance of fruit.  We've already plowed through 5+ watermelons since we've been here.  There's papaya, mango, "jocotes," bananas, plantains, pineapple, and other mysterious fruits sold around here for dirt cheap (at least we think so, considering you're charged a dollar a mango in the US).
  • Another food perk is the prices, compared to US prices - overall things here are very inexpensive, even meat and restaurant food.  A nice buffet meal here in RB is about $2 a person!
  • Veggies are limited to peppers, potatoes, onions, garlic, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, yucca, and chayote (a squash)...there are a few others, but these are the major veggie options
  • I've discovered yucca is very yummy.
  • I love love love rice and beans, and it's a good thing, or I'd be in big trouble!
  • It seems Nicaraguans fry everything or make soup...that's an exaggeration, but it's not too far from the truth.
  • My taste buds crave Nica treats such as fresh guirila and quesillos...
  • Pinol, a chocolate & corn drink that's commonly made here, is not my favorite...

Guirilas: tender sweet-corn tortillas served with fresh soft cheese atop a banana leaf...mmmm!
Rio Blanco has a famous "Guililera" right outside of town where you can get them super fresh (as seen above)

We're making friends with the local baker's kids (who live about 6 houses down) and Tedd buys fresh hot bread from their brick oven just about everyday...

A pastor's wife who lives out in the country outside of RB has invited me to learn how to make "Gallina India," a Nicaraguan chicken soup, "from scratch"...which means starting with the live chicken!!!  Ah!  I don't know if I'll have what it takes to kill a chicken and pluck its feathers and take out its insides...

Do you think I'll become a vegetarian after this experience?  I'm a big-time animal lover.  This could be tough...

So these are my random Nicaragua food notes.

I'll share some local recipes sooner or later :-)  Thanks for your patience.  Life's different lately & so is my blog as a result!

1 comment:

thanks for the comments - they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...