Boy or Girl?

Tedd & I decided from the get-go that we would definitely want to find out the gender of the baby ahead of time.  Of course, it's practical, and it satisfies our burning curiosity, but then I felt for me personally, it would only be a plus in the bonding process with our little one.  The miraculous thing to me is that the gender was determined the moment he/she was conceived, and that God has known all along!

Anyway, just for fun, I thought I'd see how we match up with these old wives-tales...

Sweets or Salty & Sour?  
Wives-tale says: if you're craving sweets, it must be a girl; if you're craving salty & sour, it's a boy.
In the first trimester, some of my biggest cravings included: BBQ potato chips, pickles, limes (plain and in fresh-squeezed limeade), cheddar cheese, and Chik-fil-A...sounds like a boy, but I also craved dried fruit and now I've got a nagging craving for soda all the time...girl?

Chinese Gender Chart?
I don't know much about this thing, but it's pretty popular on the net when it comes to guessing the sex.  According to where we fall on the chart...boy.  

Intuition?  Dreams?
Intuition - not so strong either way for either of us.  Tedd has said boy a few times, when I ask him, but then he'll say he really doesn't know.  As for the dreams, we've both dreamed about ultrasounds and the results were...boy.  But I also had two dreams about a girl.

Heart Rate?
Wives-tale says: 140 beats per minute & up, it's a girl, under 140, it's a boy...
Our baby's heart rate was 140...girl?

Mayan Even/Odd Legend?
The Mayans supposedly had a legend that says if your age at conception and the year of conception are both even or odd numbers, then it's a girl; if one is even and one is odd, then it's a boy.  Age 23 in 2010 = odd/even = boy

Kicking Early?
A popular wives-tale here in Nicaragua says that if you feel the baby kick early, it's a boy (b/c they're feistier, of course ;-), but if it takes awhile to feel it move, it's a quiet, gentle little girl...
A few women here asked me if I'd felt the baby move yet; "not yet," I replied (being a little over 3 months pregnant).  "Then it must be a girl," they responded, going on to say how their boys kicked early and their girls kicked late.

Now these wives tales and legends are all in silly fun, of course, because science has made several studies that show that heart rates, ancient calendars, and cravings have no consistent accuracy when it comes to determining the baby's sex.  But they still keep people making guesses, due to their 50/50 chance of being right, I suppose!

Do you believe in wives-tales when it comes to determining gender?

Comments

  1. I don't know about all the old wives tales, but I will say I think you are having a GIRL! And just so you know I have about a 22/25 accuracy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to guess? We are sure thinking of you two! At first, I kept saying "she" without thinking, but now, I'm just so happy it's a healthy little Lodes in there! Maybe I'm thinking a girl because I like the name you picked for a girl. Have you decided on a boy name yet?
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a BOY! I know it.
    Congratulations :)...especially if it's a girl. And really really especially if it's a boy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thanks for the comments - they make my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial