The Nicaraguan ABCs: I is for...

Illiteracy.



Basically, this is why Tedd & I are here in Nicaragua.  We believe that the Bible is God's Word and that His Word is alive and powerful, and if people could only read it, it could bring salvation to those who live in darkness...

For billions of people, the Bible is sealed shut because they simply can't read.
...And if you give the scroll to someone who can read, and say to him, "Read this, please," he will answer, "I can't; it is sealed." Or if you give the scroll to someone who cannot read, and say, "Read this, please," he will answer, "I don't know how to read."  - Isaiah 29:11


So many people lose their opportunity to go to school and never learn to read; this keeps them in the cycle of poverty, in ignorance, and in spiritual darkness...

The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. - Psalm 119:130



Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. - Psalm 119:105


Moreover, there are Christ-followers around the world who long to be able to read so they can have access to the Bible...just think of all that one is missing when he can't read the Bible!
Jesus did many other miraculous signs in presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. - John 29:30-31


...you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousnessso that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.  - II Timothy 3:15-17


For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. - Hebrews 4:12


I could go on and on with Scripture that testifies to the power of the Word and all of its benefits.  


I really don't see myself as a very good missionary, to tell you the truth.  I'm really shy and introverted, I don't "rough it" too well, and I still deal with thinking my culture is superior and struggle to really love people as Christ has called us to love (among many other character flaws)...but you know what?  If I can just teach people to read so that they can have access to the Holy Bible...then I can let the Bible do the work.  It has words that bring life and salvation to those who don't believe in Christ (I can personally testify to that) and it has words to bring encouragement, understanding, and correction to those who are in Christ.


"The greatest missionary is the Bible in the mother tongue.  It needs no furlough and is never considered a foreigner." - William Cameron Townsend (founder of Wycliffe)


Do you have a Bible?  I know you can read if you're reading this :-)  Please.  Read it.  We should be so so so very thankful that we have the ability to read it.  You have the key!  You have access to one of the greatest treasures known to mankind...dig in!


Next...is for Jesus

Comments

Post a Comment

thanks for the comments - they make my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial