Making Paneer (Fresh Indian Cheese)

Homemade Paneer

I've been having a lot of fun this week with the menu planning.  It's been so nice b/c I don't have to think on the fly so much, I know when to thaw things or soak beans or marinate meat ahead of time, and grocery shopping was really easy.  I feel more organized and less stressed about dinners.  (I know Tedd is enjoying the menu planning for sure!)

I am such an Indian Food freak...I could eat it every. day.  So I planned to make an "Indian food feast" earlier this week and it turned out so yummy.  I used this butter chicken recipe - YUM!  And we had Palak Paneer (Spinach & Cheese) for a special treat.

I actually had a lot of fun making the paneer (fresh Indian cheese) and would like to make it more often.  I followed this video tutorial.  It's a little time-consuming, but seriously easy. 

It makes me feel so old-fashioned to make cheese...and I like it...is that weird?

First I took a half-gallon of milk and brought it to a boil, stirring often so it didn't stick.
(When it's "boiling," it gets foamy and starts to rise.)

Then I removed it from the heat and slowly stirred in 1/4 c of fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about two lemons worth).  The milk curdled very quickly and I had a pot of curds and whey!


I strained out the whey in a colander covered with a double-layer of cheesecloth and was left with the delicious cheese.

After hanging the cheese in the cheesecloth to drain for several minutes, I kneaded in some salt, wrapped it up again into a block inside the cheesecloth, and then weighed it down between two plates.
hang time

my block of cheese being smashed between two plates with a weight on top

I left it in the fridge until I was ready to cut it up into cubes and sautee it for Palak Paneer.

It was delicious by itself!  I would totally eat this on a bagel or toasted bread, or again, just by itself.  It tastes soooo fresh.
isn't it so pretty??

I thought the leftover whey would be a big waste, but I've actually used quite a bit of it already.  I substituted the chicken stock in the butter chicken recipe with whey and then I used it again for baked mac (I ran out of milk, so I used whey + heavy cream).  I took about a quart of it and stuck it in the freezer to use as stock later on.  I'm looking forward to making this cheese again!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial