March 9, 2011

Integrity

This weekend I went to Walmart to stock up on stuff that I won't want to mess with after baby's born (t.p., paper towels, soap, etc).
I also bought aluminum loaf pans that I could use for easy-bake freezer meals.  I bought two 2-packs and stacked them inside each other.

When I checked out, I happened to notice the little screen at the very moment the cashier was ringing up the loaf pans, and I thought he may have only charged me for one pack, not noticing that I had two of them stacked together.

I feel so ashamed to tell you that I seriously considered not saying anything...

After all, I wasn't even that sure that he hadn't scanned both of them...

It seemed so silly to ask him to pull the loaf pans back out of the bag and charge me for both...

I figured Walmart had plenty of my money already...why bother saying anything?  It was only a $1.50...

I wished that I had never looked at the screen...

As these thoughts ran through my mind, he had already given me the total and I was signing the little digital pad (which I can't stand - I can never make my signature look normal :)

He handed me my receipt, the guy behind me in line started to move forward eagerly for his turn, and the cashier said "have a nice day..."

I looked at the receipt, and sure enough, he had only charged me for one pack.

((The moment of truth))

"It looks like you only charged me for one pan,"  I said.  I grabbed the stacked pans out of the bag and showed him my receipt.

"Oh yeah, I did...I'm sorry, that was my bad..." he said.  He then started to fidget like he didn't know what to say or do next.  (I mean, it was awkward - someone says "you're charging me too little")

"Go ahead and scan it...I'll just pay again real quick," I said.

He scanned the aluminum loaf pan, I charged my card for $1.50 + tax and then...

I walked away feeling as light as a feather, like a million bucks, with a spring in my step...

because a clear conscience before the Lord is worth way more than a buck fifty.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...