Egg Rolls at Home

I just looove egg rolls!  Don't you?  I can't get enough of these things!
Did you know that they're pretty easy to make at home???  (Which can be dangerous because you may not have the self-control to stop making them and eating them.  That's why I only made 6, ate three, and forced myself to save the other three for my husband (but then I warmed them up for him and accidentally took two bites)).

My favorite part is, you can make a whole lot of 'em ahead of time and then freeze them.  No more of those crazy expensive 8-packs of frozen egg rolls from the grocery store...now you can have dozens of them frozen away for stir-fry nights!  Sweeeeet.
wrapped in foil (then I put them in a freezer ziploc bag) for freezing!

Egg rolls are pretty versatile in my opinion, so here's what I did, but you can change it up quite a bit!

1.  Stir-fry the following in a little bit of olive oil:
1 thinly sliced chicken breast
2 chopped green onions
1 heaping tablespoon of garlic/ginger paste (or you can use 2 minced garlic cloves w/ a 1/4" peeled and minced ginger root)
1 scrambled egg

Some other filling suggestions that you would cook in this step:
pork/beef/shrimp, shallots (or regular onion), peppers

2.  When the chicken is cooked through, add:

1/2 c of shredded carrots
1 c (or more) of cooked rice noodles (you can find rice noodles in most asian sections at your grocery store)
2T of soy sauce
2T of sugar (yes, sugar - this is key)

and salt to taste
(oh, and I think I did a couple dashes of garlic powder too)

Some other filling suggestions that you would add now:
celery, nappa cabbage, zuchinni, bean sprouts (add at the very very end), chopped peanuts, fish sauce, wasabi paste, thai basil, etc.


3.  Now it's time to wrap it up:
I found egg roll wrappers in the produce section at Wal-Mart near the tofu.  The instructions on the package show you how to wrap your filling and it's surprisingly simple.  I did brush on a little egg white onto the flaps to help the wrappers stick, but I don't think it's necessary.  
you can freeze these too if you want to use half now, half later :)

4.  Deep fry 'em:
The egg roll wrapper package says that you can bake your egg rolls, and I tried that the first time...ya know, trying to be all healthy and all.  Eh, they were okay.  This time I threw all shame out the window, filled a pot about two inches with peanut oil (the best for frying IMHO) and deep-fried those suckers. 

I have no regrets.  They're better than restaurant rolls.
Just wait 'til the oil gets hot (not too hot where they burn right away! you can test a piece of a wrapper to make sure the oil's ready) and gently drop them in with tongs, rolling them over when the wrapper looks golden brown and bubbly.  I let mine turn a darker brown, actually, because they were crispier that way.

Now eat them!  (And remember to save some for your hubby or closest pal).

* Edit: April 16th, 2011
Oh! Oh! Oh!  And pleeease, for the love of all things deep-fried, do not re-heat these guys in the microwave.  You don't want soggy egg rolls, do you?  Heat them up in the oven, my friend, to maintain that yummy crispiness, or you can use a personal favorite of mine...the toaster oven.

that's all I need to say.  thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial