PeanutButter-Chocolate Cookie Bites

(Maybe y'all can help me come up with a better name for these!)

Yesterday I suddenly had a hankerin' for Reese's and I started daydreaming of how I could make cookies taste like a Reese's PB cup...and these little guys evolved.
Smooth dark chocolate ganache sandwiched between little rounds of salty peanut-buttery cookies!

Tedd asked me later why I didn't just make PB cookies and add chocolate chips to the batter...well, sure, if you're all practical and everything.  But I stubbornly spent an extra hour or two making them pretty b/c I'm not very practical.  Truth is, you can probably just add chocolate chips to your PB cookies :), but the pretty version would make a good party cookie!

PeanutButter-Chocolate Cookie Bites 
For the cookie:
adapted from Betty Crocker recipe
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c butter
1/4 c shortening (yep, you heard right)
1 egg
3/4 c creamy peanut butter

Preheat the oven to 375
Mix the above ingredients in a mixer until well-combined

1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1 1/4 c flour
1 1/4 t salt

Whisk the above ingredients in a bowl and then stir the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture until combined.

With a spatula, stuff an icing bag (or two, if you're using two different tips) full of batter.  I used two different icing tips, a star & plain, just for fun (and I wash the bags afterwards to re-use them :) I used the plain circles for the bottom of the cookie sandwich and the stars for the top.  Using all plain circles looks good too!
Pipe out little cookies into little 1/2" - 1" circles/stars on parchment paper.  Bake for about 6 minutes until golden, rotating half-way through.

For the ganache filling:
from Martha Stewart recipe
1 c heavy cream
8 oz (dark) chocolate chips (which is like 2/3 of a bag of ch.chips)

Bring the cream to a boil and pour it over the chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl.  Whisk together until shiny and smooth.

When your cookies are cool, sandwich them with the ganache filling.
I think it would be neat to roll the edges of the chocolate in crushed peanuts or with sea salt even, but I didn't have time for that b/c the baby woke up :)

Then serve 'em up pretty!
I hope you enjoy these!  Please let me know if you use this recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial