December 31, 2011

Reese's Knockoff - Dark Chocolate PB Squares w/ Sea Salt

O, Reese's, how I grow weak for thee.

Truth is, I can do without the traditional cups, but now the holiday editions like the trees, hearts, and egg shapes, they yield a much higher ratio of peanut butter to chocolate, and with a bowl full of those guys...no self control.

So I wanted to make something that would give me a Reeses fix one afternoon and this is what I came up with after experimenting a bit.  They were so good I decided to make them again as little Christmas gifts.

Thin layers of chocolate sandwiching a generous layer of salty sweet peanut butter, then sprinkled with sea salt and chilled...without further ado, I give you my Reese's Knockoff.
 
You'll need:
1 bags of dark/milk chocolate chips (I prefer dark)
1/2 jar of natural chunky peanut butter (much much better results if you use natural PB)
1/4 c powdered sugar
Course sea salt
Parchment Paper

1.  Double-broil the chocolate chips to melting

2.  Dump half of the chocolate out onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.  (I put a little cooking spray under the paper to help it stay in place as I moved the chocolate around).





3.  Spread it evenly all over the parchment paper and let it chill in the fridge for a few minutes while you prep the peanut butter "filling."


4.  Stir up the peanut butter (to mix the oil and butter) and then mix half the jar (give or take a little) with the powdered sugar.  Note: I highly recommend using the natural peanut butter for best results.

5.  When you get your chocolate out of the fridge, it should look like this...

6.  Carefully spread out your peanut butter mixture on the chocolate.
yum! yum!

7.  Chill it a few minutes and then do your final layer of chocolate

8.  Cover it all over with an even layer of sea salt.  Then slice it up into squares with a pizza cutter while it's still room temp.  I learned "by experiment" that letting it chill before cutting will cause the chocolate to break all over.  So score/cut and then chill.

  Then share with all your loved ones - or not :)  I think you'll love it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...