Cleaning A Microsuede Chair

I didn't come up with this.  In fact, it was something I "pinned" on Pinterest because I'd just bought a great microsuede rocking chair through Craigslist and it really needed to be cleaned; there were water stains and pen marks to be dealt with.
Check this out!  I didn't do any Photoshop magic on this photo whatsoever - I only brightened the pics.  The big scribbly pen mark in the photo on the left is gone!  The photo to the right is the same spot on the cushion after following Chris & Robin's Nest Blog tutorial.  I just had to share this with you because it really works!!

The water stains were quite a bit trickier, as the rubbing alcohol removed the dingy part of the stain, but the outer ring was still faintly detectable.  I just let it dry and sprayed it a second time, this time saturating the edges of the ring a bit more and really pressing hard around the edges, and that helped a lot.  Once it dried, you really couldn't see it any more unless you knew it had been there and were looking for it.

As for the odor, the homeowner from whom I bought the chair did not smoke or have pets, but there was still this really obnoxious smell that I couldn't put my finger on.  I could smell the chair every time I walked in the room!  After a while (long irrelevant story), I figured out it was actually Febreeze.  Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, but it just smelled like a masking-odors smell, rather than a clean smell, and I was really hating it.  I gave the entire chair a rub down with some good old-fashioned baking soda and let it sit for 24 hours, then vacuuming it away.  That did the trick.  If I stick my nose up to the chair I can still smell it, but it's faint enough that it doesn't bother me and I don't have to smell it every time I enter the room!

So if your microsuede furniture is needing a sprucing up, definitely give this tutorial a try & maybe freshen it up with some baking soda.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial