The Love Checklist for Your Children: ICM Wk 7

Hey gals.  I don't know if any of y'all noticed, but I'm several days overdue for a post.

Can I be honest with you?  I've got a little too much on my plate right now.  Can you relate?  So you won't judge me, right?

So today, I just want to keep it short and talk about love as God defines it.  While simple and short, it is life-giving to the home when we go through God's Word and use it as a mirror and a guide for prayer.

When it comes to my kids, it helps me keep my heart on track when I go back to 1 Corinthians 13 and run through "the checklist."  Will you go through it with me?

Love is patient.  
Am I being patient?
(God, help me be patient today)

Love is kind.  
Am I being kind?
(God, please help me be kind, and fix my heart where unkindness overflows)

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  
Am I mothering my children from the overflow of a comparing, jealous heart?  
Am I modeling humility to my children?   
Am I being prideful?
(God, please do not let jealousy take hold of me, or let it affect how I mother my children.  Please make me humble and show me when my pride is hurting my relationship with my kids).

It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Am I honoring my children?   
Am I honoring others for them to see?   
Am I thinking of my own interests? 
Am I easily angered? 
Am I holding grudges or showing bitterness toward my children?
(God, help me to honor others and treat them as better than myself, not living my life to serve myself.  Help me model that to my children and be selfless toward them.  Give me your power over my weak flesh when I am angry and irritable.  Give me the attitude of Christ.  God, help me to forgive constantly and keep no record of my children's wrongs, just as you do for me).

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
Am I lifting up truth in my home with high regard? 
Do I celebrate the truth with my children? 
Am I promoting evil (entertainment, language, gossip, slander) in my home?
(God, show me when I am "delighting in evil," and help me to extinguish those things in my home.  Give me your eyes to see the difference, and show me ways that I can hold your truth in high regard for these children to see).

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Am I protecting my children physically? emotionally? spiritually?  
Am I trusting God completely with my children? 
Am I giving my children a sense of hope? 
When it comes to raising my children, am I placing my hope in the world or in God? 
Am I hoping in God for my family during trials? 
Am I persevering in motherhood, even when it's hard?
(Father, you are our protector, you are my only hope.  I trust you.  Give me a heart that perseveres through all circumstances.  Please help me to transfer the hope I have in you to my children.  Please help me remember that you are in charge, that you are Sovereign, that you are good).


Love never fails.

You can't fail if you have Love.  But not the love with a little "l" that the world teaches us...that love is incomplete, often counterfeit, a "resounding gong;" it is separate from God.  God is Love, with a big "L."

If we want love to transform our families in a real way, then we must, we must, get ourselves connected to real Love - Love that never fails.  God is love.

(God, I know that apart from You, the love that I can muster up in my human strength will only fall short.  You are love.  Please help me to be so connected to You - You who are Love - that it will overflow from me in power through your Spirit, for your glory, and to the growth and good of my family and others.  I believe that Your love never fails).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread (+ Free Printables)

"Show Him Some Love" Challenge

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial